Thursday’s historic (yeah, I think I’m warranted in using historic) match between the Portland Timbers and the Seattle Sounders will be the last of the regular season and perhaps the last ever.
In all likelihood the Timbers will be in the MLS soon too, and in any case there will inevitably be the occasional “friendly” match, but the match Thursday night may be the last chance Portlanders have to watch the 30+ year rivals in a competitive match (for a few years at least).
The Timbers Army has some impressive tifo planned for this historic match. And it’ll be Thirsty Thursday, of course, and HOT. So drink lots of beer to stay hydrated. Also don’t forget the kickoff is at 8pm. Set your Tivo to record the match on Fox Soccer Channel so you can relive the game, and your shenanigans, later. Let’s hope for a result similar to the last time the Sounders visited inhospitable (for them anyway) Portland.
Portland Timbers on the internets:
- Even More Rose City Prose – The Offside Rule
- The Shoes That Portland Hopes to Put in Seattle’s A** – The Offside Rule
- Portland v. Seattle: Opening Salvo – The Offside Rule
- New-look Timbers shoot to put it together down the stretch – Portland Tribune
- Midfielder and manager – Timbers’ Poltl works hard, on and off the field – Portland Tribune
- Why MLS Will Work For Portland – GK’s Althetic Sippotters
- Out of Office – Timbers at the Offside (just read it for the comments thread)
And don’t forget to check out SeattleSoundersFC.com!
I am so taking Friday off.
Amen to that!
Mary Sue says
I’m thinking this might be the first ever Timbers game I’ll attend (the last two seasons I was too poor to spend money on extravagances like, you know, sporting matches and food.)
Diane, Andrew – I wish I could take Friday off too . . . argh.
Mary Sue – You’ll have a blast. This should be one of the best crowds of the year, if not ever. The Timbers also always get up for games against the Sounders, so event though they’ve not been on the top of their game lately, I suspect we’ll see a passionate effort Thursday.