Benson Polytechnic High School radio station KFIF was licensed by the federal government in March 1923 to operate with 200 watts at 834 kilocycles. On May 4, 1923 broadcasting began. The station was Portland’s first public radio station, and only the second radio station run by an educational institution in the country. KBPS is also likely the oldest continuously broadcasting high school radio station in the country.
Renamed KBPS in 1930, the station broadcasts at 1450 AM and is the second oldest radio station still broadcasting in Portland.