The first long-distance transmission of electricity occurred at 10pm on June 3, 1889.
The project was undertaken by the Willamette Falls Electric Company, the progenitor of Portland General Electric (Morning Oregonian, “Oregon Credited with Pioneering in Electrical Transmission Field” 27-June-1915).
The original station A at Willamette River falls was equipped with six 80-kilowatt 4000-volt single phase 125-cycle alternators. They were a departure from standard designs of that time in that the voltage was higher than ever before had been attempted.
Power Carried 13 Miles
The transmission line from the power plant to Portland, a distance of 13 miles, carried 4000 volts, and was made up of individual circuits running from the different generators in the power-house to the distributing system in this city.