The Oregonian reported the next day:
The Hiyu is only the second important ferry built in Portland in 20 years. The other was the 172-foot M. R. Chessman, built in 1948 by Albina Engine & Machine Works, Inc., for the Astoria-Megler service. It was retired last year when the new bridge was opened for services.
She can carry 200 passengers and 34 cars, which isn’t that many compared to the other ferries in the fleet. Nevertheless, in Chinook hiyu means “big” or “plenty.”
The Hiyu started out on the Point Defiance-Tahlequah, Vashon Island route, and served admirably on several route until the late 90s, when she was mothballed . . . or so we thought. She was re-activated in 2007 and continues to ply the waters between Point Defiance and Tahlequah.
Credit: Hiyu photo by Jim Carson on Flickr, used under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.