Fort Hoskins was established by the U.S. Army in 1856 near the Luckiamute River in the Coast Range northwest of Corvallis to monitor the Coastal (Siletz) Indian Reservation. Garrisoned there were companies G and F of the 4th U.S. Infrantry, under Captain Christopher C. Auger. The fort was named for Lieutenant Charles Hoskins who was killed during the Mexican War. When the U.S. Civil War began, troops serving at Fort Hoskins headed east, and Oregon Volunteers took their place (source: Fort Hoskins Historic Park brochure – pdf).
These Oregon Volunteers left the fort on April 10, 1865, at the end of the Civil War, and the fort was decommissioned and sold.
The site is now Fort Hoskins Historic Park.