The Timbers, currently sixth in the West standings, are still undefeated at home in league play, and in fact have not given up a single point at Jeld-Wen Field. Their most impressive win came last Saturday against Real Salt Lake, one of the top teams in the league. The Union, though only a year removed from a typically rocky expansion debut, have come out of the gate strong in 2011, currently enjoying second place in the East standings. This despite scoring the fewest goals, 5, of any team this year so far. The Union’s defense has given up only 2 goals in 6 games. Portland has scored, and given up, buckets of goals at home, but most recently demonstrated in their 1-0 win against Real Salt Lake that they are capable of extended stretches of good defense.
Kickoff at Jeld-Wen Field is at 7:30pm (gates open at 6pm). The game will be featured on FOX Soccer’s inaugural Soccer Night in America, and is also viewable free online on MLS MatchDay. Listen to the match on 95.5 The Game or La Pantera 940 (ESP).
Match previews and intrigue
- Match Preview: Timbers vs. Philadelphia by Kelly McLain at Timbers Insider
- Danny Mwanga returns to Portland to face Timbers by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- MatchDay Preview: Timbers, Union bring swagger to FOX Soccer at PortlandTimbers.com
- Timbers MatchDay: Philadelphia at Timbers by Paul Danzer at The Columbian
- A happy return for Mwanga by Stephen Alexander at The Portland Tribune
- Union take special measures ahead of Portland clash by Dave Zeitlin at MLSsoccer.com
- Jewsbury: Timbers support like no other in the league by Doug Binder at MLSsoccer.com
- Scouting Report: Tough Trip to Portland at PhiladelphiaUnion.com
- Match #7 Preview: Philadelphia Union at Portland Timbers by Ben Feldman at The Brotherly Game