Northeast Portland’s Hollywood Theatre opened with great fanfare on Saturday, July 17, 1926 (Morning Oregonian, 17-July-1926). The last venue built for both vaudeville acts and movies in Portland, the silent film More Pay-Less Work was shown on opening day, with eight piece orchestra and $40,000 Wurlitzer accompaniment.
Standing stately in a Byzantine way at the corner of NE Broadway and Sandy in the Hollywood Neighborhood (which took its name from the theater), the Hollywood Theatre today is run as a not-for-profit organization with a mission to entertain, inspire, educate and connect the community through the art of film while preserving a historic Portland landmark.
- Hollywood at PdxHistory.com
- Hollywood Theatre, Portland at OHS.org
- Historical Highlights of Hollywood at PDX.edu
- Mission & History at HollywoodTheater.org
Leave a Reply