Hard to believe, but the Timbers are undefeated in May, with two 0-0 draws and last weekend’s 2-1 defeat of the Chicago Fire – they haven’t lost at home since the 2-1 defeat by Chivas on April 7. Vancouver lost to Toronto FC on Wednesday, and last Saturday they drew 2-2 with the other Cascadian rivals at BMO Field in Vancouver.
This should be an interesting match between a Timbers team that still struggles to score goals, but has perhaps caught a glimpse of daylight recently; and a Vancouver team much improved over last year’s team, but no doubt exhausted, having played seven matches already in the month of May.
In addition to jockeying for position on the conference table, both teams tonight are aiming for the 2012 Cascadia Cup. Only one match has been played in the competition so far this year, last weekend’s 2-2 draw between the Whitecaps and Seattle.
Match previews and intrigue
- Spencer emphasizes Cascadia importance to squad by Dan Itel at MLSSoccer.com
- Cascadia Rivalry: Brian Gant looks back by Mark Nelson at PortlandTimbers.com
- Strong’s Notes: Tremendous Turnaround by John Strong at PortlandTimbers.com
- Timbers Versus Whitecaps: Cascadia Cup Clash by Brenaldo at Timberlandia
- Cascadia Cup: What Does It Mean To You? by Geoff Gibson at Stumptown Footy
- Timbers v Vancouver Preview: CASCADIA CUP! by ╭∩╮（︶︿︶）╭∩╮ at Mental and Green
- Forward into Battle at the axe
- won’t you be, please won’t you be . . . my neighbor. at the axe
- Portland Timbers carry momentum into derby against Whitecaps by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- Portland Timbers to face improved Vancouver Whitecaps by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- Whitecaps Saturday: Timbers test a tough one by Bruce Constantineau at the Vancouver Sun
- Whitecaps FC gear up for Cascadia Cup clash at Portland Timbers by Simon Fudge at WhitecapsFC.com