I’m moving (from downtown to North Portland) this weekend, so unfortunately I won’t be participating in much of this weekend’s goings ons. Here’s what I’ll be missing . . .
MAX construction on 5th Avenue in Old Town/Chinatown is almost complete, so TriMet’s throwing a party. Here are the details:
- Local bands and musicians including Autopilot, Siren’s Echo, Hello Damascus and Talkdemonic
- More than 20 local poets, including Oregon Poet Laureate Lawson Inada, will read poetry celebrating the 10th anniversary of “Poetry in Motion”
- Graffiti artist Joshua Wallace will paint a 100-foot canvas
- Area businesses will offer food and a beer garden [emphasis mine] will be available
- A free shuttle will carry guests between the street fair, First Thursday in the Pearl District and Pioneer Courthouse Square
All of this will be taking place on 5th between Burnside and Glisan, from 5-10pm tonight.
RedBull’s doing some weird stuff at Pioneer Square and 6th Avenue, something they call RedBull Illume. It starts tonight and runs through the 12th. Here’s the description from the Pioneer Square calendar:
This first of its kind international action and adventure sports photography exhibition will offer residents and visitors alike a spectacular street-side “illumination” of indescribable proportions. Red Bull Illume began as a quest to find the fifty best raw moments in action and adventure sports captured by both amateur and professional photographers.
These fifty hand-selected winning images will light up Portland’s main thoroughfare, SW 6th Avenue, as a breathtaking ‘larger than life’ street gallery with the outdoor spectacle of twenty-five 8-foot glass and metal photography display cubes.
Rogue’s hosting the 13th annual “Bones and Brew Backyard BBQ” at NW Flanders and 15th. BBQ, 30 microbrews, and live music. A $2 donation gets you in (proceeds go to the Oregon Zoo). Saturday from 11 am to 9 pm; Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm.
Last year’s Premier League champs take on the FA Cup winner, so this year that means Manchester United and Chelsea FC.