The standard trope is that the playoffs are a new season, and that what happened in the regular season doesn’t matter now, but Portland Timbers fans wouldn’t mind if the team continues to play at as high a level in the USSF Division II 2010 quarterfinals as they did in the final 10, undefeated, games of the regular season.
And the 2010 Cascadia Cup champions wouldn’t mind handling the Vancouver Whitecaps in the playoffs in a similar manner to how they handled them in the regular season (the Timbers won twice and drew twice).
The Timbers’ chance to continue their 2010 success begins tonight, when they face the Vancouver Whitecaps in the first leg of a two-leg, aggregate goals USSF Division II Quarterfinal playoff series. Kickoff is at 7:30pm.
Unfortunately Futty Danso won’t be available for today’s match (or the second leg on Sunday in Portland), as he’s been called up for national team duty. Stephen Keel will fill in for him on the back line.
- Quarterfinal First Leg – Vancouver Whitecaps v. Portland Timbers by mao at the Portland Timbers USL Blog at The Offside
- Portland Timbers are prepared for challenge from Vancouver in USSF playoffs by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- Playoff Preview: Timbers vs Whitecaps Game 1 by Kevin at Dropping Timber
- Timbers open postseason play against Whitecaps at PortlandTimbers.com
- Timbers open second-division playoffs by Paul Danzer at The Columbian
- Coverage of playoff series game 1 – Timbers at Vancouver by Kip Kesgard at OregonLive.com
- Whitecaps face tough competition in Portland Timbers by Bruce Constantineau at the Vancouver Sun
- Caps must be physical with Portland strikers by Marc Webber in The Province