The Portland Timbers face the San Jose Earthquakes tonight, May 3, 2011, in a qualifying match for the 98th Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup tournament. The rivalry between these two teams goes back to the Timbers’ first year of existence, in 1975!
Kickoff at Jeld-Wen field is 7:30pm – tickets are still available (this match is not included in season tickets packages). There will also be a live webstream at PortlandTimbers.com, and the match will be broadcast on 95.5 The Game.
The Timbers, as you no doubt know, are undefeated at home this year. Tonight’s match will be the second of three home matches in seven days. The team defeated Real Salt Lake 1-0 last Saturday, and this approaching Friday the Philadelphia Union make their first visit to Jeld-Wen Field. Coach Spencer may get creative with the lineup to keep key players fresh. The Earthquakes, having not won a match in the last five tries, should be either inspired or dismayed – desperate in any case – so this should be a very interesting match.
- Tune into the mao Football Show on Cascadia.fm today at 4pm PST for a match preview with mao, Nevets, and guest Robert Jonas from Center Line Soccer.
- KeyBank Match-up of the Match: Home Momentum vs. Desperation by Brian Costello at PortlandTimbers.com
- Flashes of Brilliance: San Jose Earthquakes by Geoff Gibson at Stumptown Footy
- Portland Timbers coach wary of struggling Earthquakes by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- Preview: Portland Timbers vs San Jose Earthquakes at PDX Pipeline
- Timbers host San Jose tonight in U.S. Open Cup play-in match at The Statesmen Journal
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 2, 2011 at SJEarthquakes.com