After last weekend’s inspired performance and resulting draw up north the Portland Timbers (4-3-2) return home tonight to host the Columbus Crew (3-2-4).
The Timbers’ record at Jeld-Wen in league play is a perfect 4-0-0 while the Crew’s record on the road is a paltry 0-2-2. The Crew, however, don’t necessarily suck. Currently tied for 3rd in the Eastern Conference, they have a stingy defense and have finished top or near top of their conference table the past three seasons.
This is exactly the kind of game a team might not be mentally prepared for, especially after the no doubt emotionally exhausting experience that was last weekend. Let’s hope Spencer and the Timbers don’t let up.
Kickoff is at 8pm. The first 5000 fans through the turnstiles at Jeld-Wen receive a free Timbers reusable grocery bag! If you can’t make it to the match, watch on FOX 12 or estrellaTV 8.3 or listen on 95.5 The Game or La Pantera 940 AM.
Match previews and intrigue
- Match Preview: Timbers vs. Columbus by Kelly McLain at Timbers Insider
- A Few Questions Regarding the Columbus Crew [Preview] by Geoff Gibson at Stumptown Footy
- Portland Timbers: Only people sawing logs in Columbus are the fans as Crew struggle to score goals by Paul Buker at The Oregonian
- Timbers vs. Crew: Columbus coach says “defending set pieces is going to be crucial” by Paul Buker at The Oregonian
- Portland Timbers: The Doomsday scenario at Jeld-Wen involves an overconfident team blowing a game it should win at home by Paul Buker at The Oregonian
- Timbers coach Spencer preaches need for big performance in another ‘big game’ by Stephen Alexander at the Portland Tribune
- Head to Head Preview: Portland Timbers – Columbus Crew by Giovanni Albanese Jr. and Justin Henle at Goal.com
- Preview: Portland aim to stay perfect at home vs. Crew at MLSsoccer.com
- Soccer: Crew looks to break out of goal drought by Tom Reed at The Columbus Dispatch
Leave a Reply