Astoria held a three day Founders’ Celebration in July of 1926 (Morning Oregonian, 22-July-1926). An estimated 35,000 people (about three times the town’s population then, and now) witnessed the “Spirit of the West” parade:
Bands, beautiful floats, all designed on historical lines, decorated automobiles and brilliantly uniformed marching organizations were in line, with a dazzling touch added by the presences of Miss Columbia and her court of 16 princesses from nearby communities, and some 40 maids of honor.
It required nearly an hour for the parade to pass a given point and care in arrangements of the various divisions preserved interest until the last unit had passed.
The princesses, legionnaires and military units put in an appearance later in the evening as well. A night parade ended at the newly erected Doughboy Monument in the west end of town. Dedication ceremonies were conducted that night, on July 21, 1926, under the auspices of the American Legion.