The Astoria Column was dedicated on July 22, 1926 as the climactic event during that year’s three day Founders’ Celebration (Morning Oregonian, 22-July-1926).
Patterned after Trajan’s Column in Rome, circling the column is a depiction of the history of the area, beginning with before the white people arrived, and ending with the arrival of the railroad in Astoria.
The 125 foot tall concrete column stands atop the 600 foot Coxcomb Hill. The spiral staircase consists of 164 steps, and the view from the top is amazing.
Leave a Reply