In the Coast Range northwest of Corvallis the U.S. Army established Fort Hoskins on July 26, 1856. The fort was used from 1856 through the end of the Civil War in 1865 (pdf):
The parade ground of this military fort overlooked the Luckiamute River valley. The 200-300 troops serving here were charged with protecting the newly established Coast (Siletz) Indian Reservation to the west from encroachment and harassment by settlers, and with confining and monitoring the tribes on the reservation. During the Civil War, troops also kept the secessionist movement in the mid-Willamette Valley from erupting into armed conflict.
The site is now Fort Hoskins Historic Park.
Leave a Reply