The Portland Timbers (6-10-4) host the conference and league leading Los Angeles Galaxy (12-2-9) at Jeld-Wen Field on Wednesday, August 3, 2011.
On April 23 the Timbers lost to LA 3-0, during what was otherwise the team’s strongest stretch of play this season (featuring a 5-1-1 record between April 2 and May 21). LA seldom blows out opponents and has settled for plenty of draws, but Portland will have to play inspired defense to get a result Wednesday night. Last weekend while the Timbers were letting Toronto come back from two goals down to tie, LA was overwhelming the Whitecaps, 4-0, in Vancouver.
Watch the match at 7:30pm on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, or ESPN3.com; or listen in at 750 AM The Game or La Pantera 940 AM.
Match previews and intrigue
- Does Timbers’ Spencer have key to stopping Donovan? by Dan Itel at MLSsoccer.com
- Strong’s Notes: Take Your Chances by John Strong at PortlandTimbers.com
- Preventing The (Los)s (Angeles) by Xanderkale at Slide Rule Pass
- Looking For Three Points by Kelly McLain at Timbers Insider
- The Biggest Stars In The Galaxy by Kelly McLain at Timbers Insider
- Timbers v LA Galaxy Preview at Dropping Timber
- Portland Timbers Face Their Most Challenging Opponents in Their Most Important Game by Geoff Gibson at Stumptown Footy
- Timbers v Galaxy Preview – “That’s Youth Soccer” by ╭∩╮（︶︿︶）╭∩╮ at Mental and Green
- Eddie Johnson and Sal Zizzo expected to see playing time as Timbers face Galaxy by Jamie Goldberg at The Oregonian
- Timbers look to boost confidence with strong performance against Galaxy by Jamie Goldberg at The Oregonian
- L.A. Galaxy hope stars align before David Beckham, Landon Donovan move on by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- L.A. Galaxy playing the Portland Timbers…or the fans? by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- Beckham: Galaxy just need ‘finishing touch’ by Stephen Alexander at The Portland Tribune