The Portland Timbers (7-12-5) try to regain form this Saturday, August 20, 2011 when the MLS Vancouver Whitecaps (3-12-9) make their first visit to Jeld-Wen Field. Kickoff is at 7pm.
The match will be shown on FOX Soccer, and you can hear it on 750 AM The Game or La Pantera 940 AM.
Portland’s woes on the road continue, but at home the team has had their best performances. But the Timbers haven’t had as hard a time of it as the Whitecaps, who sit alone at the bottom of the standings with only 18 points out of 24 matches. Portland may be only two spots higher with 26 points, but is still gunning for a wildcard playoff spot.
An honor both teams are aiming for is the 2011 Cascadia Cup. Seattle leads in points (5) with 1 win and 2 draws, but Vancouver (1) and Portland (1) play twice still this season (including tonight’s match); a pair of wins for either may be enough to claim the cup.
If you still need more soccer this weekend, head to Jeld-Wen field again on Sunday at noon when the Timbers Reserves host the Whitecaps Reserves. 10,000 cheap (i.e. $10) tickets have already been sold!
Previews and intrigue
- Portland, Vancouver finally set to square off at MLS level by Dan Itel at MLSsoccer.com
- With window closing, Timbers need win vs. Whitecaps by Dan Itel at MLSsoccer.com
- Timbers Versus Vancouver: Expansion Enmity by Brenaldo at Timberlandia
- Jeremy Hall Traded To Dallas by Kelly McLain at Timbers Insider
- Vancouver Whitecaps hope to ignite late-season surge with win against Portland Timbers by Geoffrey C. Arnold at The Oregonian
- After dismal start, Whitecaps arrive as a ‘work in progress’ by Stephen Alexander at the Portland Tribune
- Timbers, Whitecaps meet again as MLS foes by Paul Danzer at The Columbian
- The Southsiders are coming, you have been warned by paulsepp at Dropping Timber
- With Play-Off Hopes Running Thin, Cascadia Cup Remains by Geoff Gibson at Stumptown Footy
- Timbers hold the advantage on Whitecaps by Bruce Constantineau in The Vancouver Sun
- Whitecaps hope to crash through the Timbers by Bruce Constantineau in The Vancouver Sun
- Away From The Numbers: Portland – A Thorny Subject by Michael McColl at Metro – Vancouver
- Strong’s Notes: Be The Portland Timbers by John Strong at PortlandTimbers.com
- View From The Middle: How the Portland v. Vancouver rivalry is unique by Steve Clare at PortlandTimbers.com
- View From The Inside: A look into the Whitecaps by Michael McColl at PortlandTimbers.com
Leave a Reply