The 2010 season starts soon! The Timbers’ home opener is next Saturday, April 17th, but other teams in the league kick off tomorrow:
USSF Division II Season Begins This Weekend by mao at Timbers.TheOffside.com
The USSF Division II season will officially begin this Saturday, April 10, as two matches will launch the new year. Two more games on Sunday will follow before the Timbers kick things off next Saturday, April 17 at PGE Park. [more]
So what can you expect PGE Park matches this year? Any exhibition match news?
Highlights from the Liaisonnaires Meeting on Wednesday, April 7th (via Keeper01’s notes on SCUSA):
1. The club expects to play four or five exhibition matches this year. There may be two matches with Premiership teams and another match with a Mexican club.
2. Mandjou Keita is expected to return next week; he is not likely to play in the home opener.
3. Webcasts should be available for all home and road league games.
4. The club plans to stage two World Cup events this summer.
5. Yes it’s true: There will be a $1.50 pre-game food-and-beverage menu.
(More details about these items can be found on a different SCUSA thread: Liaisonnaire Notes: 4.7)
In other Timbers fan news, Shawn Levy was a guest this week on Ham Fisted Radio – every Timbers fan should listen to the podcast: Shawn does a great job capsulizing the history of and passion for soccer in Portland (NASL Timbers, U of P, PGE Park, etc.).
Film critic, author, and avid soccer supporter Shawn Levy regales us with tails of Portland football — including his own rendition of Portland Timbers-themed show tunes! [download the podcast!]
And also this week the Timbers made possibly their last pre-season signing announcement:
Timbers Officially Sign OJ Obatola and Bright Dike by mao at Timbers.TheOffside.com
OJ Obatola, hero of the Community Shield, and Bright Dike have been added to the burgeoning Portland Timbers roster in the hopes of bolstering attack and in the interest of adding youth. Both forwards are just 22 years old and bring scoring prowess to the Timbers’ final season in the American second division. [more]
And don’t forget to check out the Timbers Tidbits from earlier this week, for even more Timbers news!