Construction of Fort Clatsop, the winter quarters for the Lewis and Clark Expedition, began on December 10, 1805.
all hands were employed at work notwithstanding the rain. Capt Clark and party returned to camp, they found the ocean to be about 7 miles from our camp… in the evening we laid the foundation of our huts.
The fort, near present day Astoria, was about fifty feet long on each side, with cabins in parallel on two sides and gates at the ends. The expedition spent over three, rainy, months in the fort. When the expedition left in Spring, 1806 they left the fort to Clatsop Chief Coboway.
A replica fort (the second, after the first burnt down) is now part of the Lewis and Clark National Historical Park.
Leave a Reply