- The Wil / Wal Controversy at Cafe Unknown – Willamette won out, but there was a time when Wallamet was a contender. Early Oregonians had strong feelings about the controversy, and often used the debate as a proxy for political arguments.
- Reed College Group Scans Poetry Under Light of Moon In Demonstration Against Arresting of Fellow Student at pdx tales – seems in 1947 the Portland Police arrested Reedie Tom Kelly for reading Shelley by moonlight. Bonus: The Oregonian editorial on the matter.
- 2011 in Review – and in Rhyme at Portland Preservation – Yup, a roundup of 2011 historical preservation stories.
- Whiskey and Gin. Oh, and Vodka at Oregon Rediviva – Vodka was #1 in Oregon in 2011. In 1935? Oregonians prefer corn liquor. I the first seven months of 1935, a mere five gallons of Vodka had been sold in the state!
- Blitz Brewery Blows Its Top at Dead Memories Portland
– On occasion, when days were warm, “Mt. St. Henry’s” would blow its top, showering those below with beery goodness.