• Home
  • Archives

Dave Knows Portland

August 9, 1912: Steel Bridge Opens

August 9, 2011 by Dave Knows Leave a Comment

Steel Bridge, Spanning Willamette River at State Route 99, Portland, Multnomah County, OR

Morning Oregonian headline (10-August-1912)Shortly after midnight on the morning of August 9, 1912 the old Steel Bridge was closed with much ceremony, while the new Steel Bridge (i.e. the Steel Bridge still in use today) opened . . . to little fanfare (Morning Oregonian, 10-August-1912).

Two bottles of champagne, the christener of the elite of the navigating world, were broken across the bulk of the old bridge, a cornet duet, “Auld Lang Syne,” said farewell from the workers on the old structure, and all the ceremonies of the night centered around the 21-year-old steel way across the river.

The new, paint-shiny Harriman bridge, with its expensive lift towers and its two decks, got none of the ceremonies of the occasion. “Taffy,” a gatekeeper, stumbled across a pile of lumber on the new bridge, and swore – that is all the benediction it got.

Built over two years by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company and the Union Pacific Railroad, the new Steel Bridge is a Pratt through truss, vertical lift bridge. When it opened it was the largest telescoping bridge in the world, and it is now believed to be the world’s only double-lift span that can raise its lower deck independently of the upper deck (“Willamette River (Steel) Bridge” [doc] – Oregon Department of Transportation).

Stumptown Stories: Craftsman Style and the Great Boom (9-August-2011)

August 8, 2011 by Dave Knows 1 Comment

Craftsman Bungalo, Portland-styleCraftsman Style and the Great Boom — Building Portland’s Classic Arts and Crafts Neighborhoods in the Early 20th Century, the latest installment of the Stumptown Stories series, will be presented at the Jack London Bar (basement of the Rialto, SW 4th and Alder) on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 7:30pm.

Portland’s population and wealth exploded in the years immediately after the Lewis and Clark Exposition of 1905, and the style-conscious citizens turned to local architects to bring “modern” ideas to life in the new streetcar neighborhoods sprawling out from downtown. Some, like Emil Schacht and Joseph Jacobberger quickly turned from their established Portland Victorian roots to Craftsman and Arts & Crafts styles. But they were quickly joined by newcomers familiar with Eastern architectural trends, like Ellis Lawrence from Boston, Alfred Faber from Philadelphia, and John Bennes from Chicago. Architectural historian Jim Heuer will share results of extensive research he and his partner Robert Mercer have developed on these and other talented designers of the period and what influences shaped their residential architecture in the boom years from 1904 to 1914. The results of these creative architects’ work can be seen in the rich trove of surviving Arts & Crafts era homes in the neighborhoods of Irvington, Piedmont, Willamette Heights, Laurelhurst, and Ladd’s Addition. Mr. Heuer’s lecture will be illustrated with his collection of both historic and modern photographs of these homes and their interiors.

Photo credit: Craftsman-style bungalo photo by Dawn Petersosn, dawniecake on Flickr. Used under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic license.

August 8, 1971: The Enchanted Forest Opens

August 8, 2011 by Dave Knows 1 Comment

The Witch at the Enchanted ForestThe Enchanted Forest‘s Storybook Trail first opened to the public at 2pm on Sunday, August 8, 1971.

Roger Tofte, a draftsman and artist for the Oregon State Highway Department, built the park on 20 acres of land off Interstate 5 south of Salem he had purchased for $4000. The idea for the park came to the father of four young children upon a return from a cross-country trip (The Oregonian, 27-July-1972).

We had seen fairylands in other states, and realized there were none in Oregon. We thought it would be fun to build one.

Despite no formal art training and little cement work experience, he got to work and built the fanciful theme park. Rides and features have been added frequently the past four decades and the Enchanted Forest is still run by the Tofte family.

Check out my account of a delightful visit to the park in 2010.

August 3, 1990: Japanese American Historical Plaza Dedicated

August 3, 2011 by Dave Knows Leave a Comment

One of the pillars at the plaza (Photo by brx0, used under creative commons license)Portland’s Japanese American Historical Plaza was dedicated on August 3, 1990. More than a thousand people attended the dedication, including many Japanese-Americans with family who were interned during World War II (The Oregonian, 4-August-1990).

The simple curved plaza of walkways of squared-off stepping stones and a long leaning wall of Northwest Cascades mountain basalt sits north of Burnside at Tom McCall Waterfront Park.

Landscape architect Robert Murase, who at age 4 was interned with his family, worked for a quarter century to establish the monument. Finally, with the help of Portland real estate magnate Bill Naito and others who donated money for and worked on the project, the Japanese-American Historical Plaza was dedicated.

Randy Gragg described the project in The Oregonian on August 5, 1990:

The effort was clearly worth the trouble. Besides being the first memorial to Japanese internment in the country, the plaza has all the markings of becoming Portland’s most nationally important and enduring monument.

If memorials are created in part to heal, few things can serve the purpose better than to erect a monument to the mistake that caused the ill. Maya Lin proved this with her design for the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Breaking the tradition of figurative sculptures memorializing war heroes and battles, she instead gave the country an experience to have. Visiting her memorial leaves you with an impression — a deep, unforgettable feeling — rather than an easy image.

Murase has attempted something similar. The Willamette River allowed him to base his plaza on the oldest traditions of Japanese garden design in which a creek or river is always located to the east. And, being north of Burnside Street, the plaza is across the street from what was a bustling Japanese community before internment effectively erased it.

Murase has fused these features. The plaza will function as a public gathering spot, a pleasant path to stroll, a history lesson and a memory of a community that once was.

Four months after Pearl Harbor, more than 100,000 people, guilty of nothing except being of Japanese descent, were rounded up on the West Coast. They were jailed without probable cause, much less charges or trials. In 1988 Congress passed legislation apologizing on behalf of the government. Eventually $1.6 billion in reparations were paid to internees and their heirs.

Photo credit: faces (japanese american historical plaza) by brx0 on flickr, used under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.

August 1, 1960: Grand Opening of Lloyd Center Mall

August 1, 2011 by Dave Knows 7 Comments

The Oregonian front page August 2 1960

Portland’s Lloyd Center opened on Monday, August 1, 1960 (The Oregonian, 31-July-1960, 2-August-1960).

It hadn’t rained in Portland since June 19, but Monday they opened the Lloyd Center and it rained again.

This was no Oregon back-drencher, but a fine, sacramental-like mist that put the state’s official blessing on the 100-million-dollar project and added a freshness and sparkle to the ribbon cutting.

Nobody could accurately estimate the size of the crowd that filled the main plaza and backed up into the malls on two levels, but more than 5,000 people were there for the 9:30 a.m. ceremonies.

Considered a marvelous example of mid-century architecture, the $100 million, 1.2 million square foot shopping center was the largest in the world* when it opened (The Oregonian, 31-July-1960).

* The Lloyd Center entry on [frequently unreliable] Wikipedia asserts, citing no sources, that the Lakewood Center in Los Angeles and the Roosevelt Field mall in New York were larger. The Oregonian reported on May 23, 1954 that Lakewood would exceed Lloyd Center “later on”, but not in 1960, and the Roosevelt Field mall (according to, ahem, Wikipedia) didn’t reach the 1 million square feet mark until after 1962.

« Previous Page
Next Page »

Search

Dave Knows Portland Archive

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in